Monday, June 20, 2011

Ambushed by Joy

In Northern Minnesota you expect to be wowed by the mirrored surface of the lake and the song of loons and infinite variety of green in the roadside.  I love the stillness.  There are days early in the season when I can sit for an hour and never hear another sound created by a human voice or machine.  That is amazing in this world.

Sometimes though, you find a surprise, like the one above.  I was tooling down the road and had to stop when I saw the horses lined up like kiddie calvary. The question that came to mind was 'why?'

The place was a little rustic to say the least but I figured I really ought to knock on the door and ask permission to take a photo so I hopped out of the car and walked up the long drive.  I could see a small house, opened to let in air. Someone had to be at home.  Then I got my second surprise.  Up closer to the house, tucked away from the road, were lovely gardens. Flowers of all kinds were overflowing sweet beds and inventive potting like a tea kettle were everywhere.

I never did find anyone at home but I couldn't resist snapping a few photos.  Joy comes when we aren't expecting it and it's best to take advantage of it.  Besides, I could see a copy of "Where The Sidewalk Ends" on a table in the main room and anyone who reads Shel Silverstein would have to be OK, or at least wouldn't shoot a visitor on sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment