Friday, June 24, 2011

Parenting, A Messy Affair

This nest greeted me when I arrived at the lake.  It was empty and a broken shell lay on the ground below it.  I'd like to think the baby robins hatched safely and flew away but more likely, the eggs were robbed from the nest and the parents flew off.  Parenting is a risky business.

Yesterday, our daughter was worried about a math test (and who wouldn't be).  We talked to her several times.  I think she calmed us as much as we calmed her. In the end, it went fine.  By 10 p.m., we were tucked into bed reading, feeling lovely after a good lake day and decided to check in with our son in Chicago.

"I'm a little under the weather," he said after the hellos.  Hmm.  "What's up?" I asked.  He had been coughing for a week and had a temp of 101.  "Have you called the doctor?" I asked, my voice rising slightly.

At this point,  D's dad, hearing only my end of the conversation and knowing that I am given to over-reaction, got on the line to sort things out.  The next thing I hear from him is "You need to be seen first thing tomorrow."

OK, this is a smart, capable 23-year-old with friends he can call but I still felt like I should be up checking flight information to Chicago.  There is something about being a mother, whether they are 3 or 23.  You just want to get your hands on them.

We turned out our lights and said good night.  At 3:30 a.m. my mom alarm went off.  That middle-of-the-night gut check.  What if...what if.... Nothing you can do but that doesn't stop you from worrying.

This morning the sun is out.  D says he feels better and is headed to work.  I'm doubtful but he's 23 so I guess I have to let him make that decision.  He patiently answers my text queries and reassures me that he is alive and well.  So OK, little birds.  We made the best nest we could.  Spread those wings and fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment