Sunday, February 5, 2012

Perfect Snowy Day

Well, it finally snowed.  We have been waiting all winter.  Not that I am complaining about all the balmy days we have had.  The sun has been wonderful but somehow, you need a few beautifully snowy days to remind you that you live in the Midwest.

When we woke Saturday, the world was covered in a blanket of white and we had no power.  Mark thought we needed to shovel.  I thought we needed to figure out how to get a cup of coffee.   Let me just say right here that Mark loves to do things that begin with bundling up and end with rosy cheeks.  I, on the other hand, am happiest staying warm.

When he came in from a little work on the driveway to find me already in my coat and hat, he knew it was time for a trip to the coffee shop.  We took the papers and headed over for coffee and a scone.  Lots of folks had the same idea so it was a sociable outing.  We ran into a book club friend who said he and his wife were headed out to cross country ski later and invited us to join them.  Mark got that look again: the bundling up, rosy cheek look. I on the other hand, planned to knit and read the day away.  So that's what we did.  Mark skied and I hung out here.

This morning after church Mark suggested that I really needed to try going cross country skiing with him.  I had planned on another afternoon of serious knitting but he looked so excited by the prospect, I said yes.  I haven't been on skis for about 30 years so I didn't hold high hopes for a great outing but we took it slow and Elmwood Park is fairly flat.  On the way home, Mark asked if I needed another cup of coffee.  I'm not sure I'm ever going to be a great outdoor gal but it's good to share interests.

 Tonight we will watch the Superbowl for an hour or so and then switch to Downton Abby.  A little of both is OK. 

No comments:

Post a Comment