Sunday, July 10, 2011

Reflections

An early morning kayak ride put me in a philosophical mood.  This is amazing since I set out before my coffee.  I was nudged because my husband and brother-in-law had a nature extravaganza the other morning.  They were out early and came back with descriptions that sounded like something from the Discovery Channel.   Eagles were swooping, loons were swimming, osprey were feeding babies.

What caught my eye this morning was that when it is calm, everything on the bank can be seen in the water.  It is a perfect reflection.  It all seems in balance and it all supports the same system.

If there are insects and plants, the fish can feed.  If the fish feed and grow, there will be loons, eagles and osprey living near by and building nests because they can fish.  If we can manage not to muck it up, it will go on and on and on.

It's easy to be proud of what we own.  This is my little piece of the world, we like to think.  I'm sure the eagles and the loons don't care who owns what.  I'm wondering this morning what reflects back from our ownership of land and lakes.  I hope it is something good, something that leaves the land at least no worse than when we came.

No comments:

Post a Comment