Saturday, July 16, 2011

Sweet Pretzel

We came home from the lake a few days early because of reports that Pretzel, one of our aging dachshunds, wasn't doing well.  Em, who has been Pretzel's pal for more than 12 years, was home caring for the dogs so we knew she was in good hands.  However, anyone who has ever had a dog knows that they are a part of the family and to face loosing them is a tough go.

Our two dachshunds came from the same breeder.  We always said Ernie is the smart one and Pretzel is the pretty one.  From the beginning Ernie figured everything out.  When he was hungry, he nosed his bowl around or barked until the noise drove us to get up from what we were doing and supply dog food.  Pretzel just sat and looked at us like "gee, I wish I could tell them I was hungry."  I won't say who is more likely to leave a puddle on the floor but her name begins with P.
On the other hand, Ernie can be a little neurotic and unwelcoming.  Pretzel never met anyone who wasn't a friend.  She wags her tail and sniffs hello to kids and adults alike.

Our biggest concern as the dogs age is how one would do without the other.  They are great buddies, often napping together.  This morning Pretzel looks just a bit brighter and she is curled up next to Ernie on their cushion.  Whatever happens, we think they should get to spend these days together.  I think that's what I would prefer when I am old and ill: to be at home, resting comfortably next to the person I love the most, with plenty of people around to rub my back.  

No comments:

Post a Comment